If you’re like many people, you may donate clothes, shoes, and toys to people help people in need. But did you know that giving blood is the greatest gift you can give? You may fear needles or not have much spare time, but if you can overcome your fear and make time, you’ll save lives.
Consider these reasons to donate:
- Someone you know may be hospitalized or need blood transfusions frequently.
- You or a loved one may need blood one day.
- You may have benefited from donated blood in the past and want to pay it forward.
- You will feel good about your donation.
- You can build up your community hospital or blood bank for an emergency.
- You may get a discounted ticket or pass to a sponsored event.
- You get a free mini check-up (pulse, blood pressure, body temperature, and hemoglobin).
- You get a free snack to perk you up after donation.
- Of the 38% of Americans eligible to give blood, only 10% do; you can increase that number.
What donated blood can do for others:
- The pint of blood one person donates can help three other people.
- Red blood cells are used in trauma or surgical patients.
- Plasma helps patients who have problems with clotting.
- Platelets help cancer and transplant patients.
- Every 2 seconds, a new person is in need of donated blood.
- Anemic patients and those with severe sickle cell need red blood cells.
- Compatible blood is needed during lifesaving organ transplants.
- One out of seven people in hospitals will need blood.
- Lives are saved every day by donated blood.
What you need to do:
- Bring 2 forms of ID (driver’s license and donor card if possible).
- Bring a list of all medications you are taking.
- Eat a light meal and be hydrated before donating.
- Clear an hour for the whole process (only about 10 minutes is spent giving the blood).
Remember that you must be age 17 or older, 110 pounds or more, and healthy to donate.
If just 1% more of Americans would give blood 2–3 times each year, we could eliminate blood shortages for years to come. Step up today and make a difference. Visit Aventura Hospital’s Blood Bank and make a deposit today.
Why Be a Blood Donor?