The holiday season is upon us, and Thanksgiving is only a day away. It’s a time when friends and family give thanks and enjoy laughter with good company over delicious food and beverages. However, sometimes healthy habits fall to the wayside for that extra slice of pie or glass of wine. This year, follow these healthy eating tips to get the most out of your Thanksgiving holiday without paying for it afterward.
- Better ingredients. When planning your holiday meal, try to use certified organic ingredients, non-processed foods and gluten-free holiday recipes. Avoid heavy creams and fried items. This will cut out a tremendous amount of fat and preservatives without sacrificing that yummy meal experience.
- Drink water. Drinking eight to ten ounces of water before eating will keep you hydrated as well as feeling a little full so you’re not tempted to grab seconds (or thirds) of Grandma’s famous green bean casserole. It also prevents you from drinking alcoholic beverages to quench your thirst, as they can dehydrate you quickly.
- Remember to exercise. Just because it’s the holiday season doesn’t mean you should stop regular exercise. While schedules can be hectic as you plan dinners and family events, try to make time to exercise daily—even if it’s only for fifteen minutes. This will help maintain your weight during the holidays.
- Portion control. Watching your portions is a great way to stay healthy during the holiday season. Don’t overfill your plate with food and try to avoid second servings. Try only one scoop of what’s available instead of multiple scoops.
- Never go hungry. Never leave for a family dinner or party hungry. This will tempt you to over-eat and indulge when you arrive. Instead, before you leave your home, enjoy a light snack like some fresh carrots, a piece of fruit or granola bar.
Don’t forget that health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease affect thousands of Americans each year. Eating right and exercising regularly will keep you healthy, happy and allow for a more rewarding holiday experience. For more information on healthy living tips or to contact a physician near you, please contact Aventura Hospital. Our Consult-A-Nurse line at 1-888-256-7692 is available 24 hours a day.